SailNet Community - View Single Post - How 'bout it? Any Soverel owners?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010

OPTION is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Just got a S-36 for crusing. Any opinions on the best traits and worst traits of these boats? Maintenance tips? Improvements needed and/or made? Let's get started, shall we?
Hi, I believe that we may bave been in touch. I am Dave B., keeper of the Soverel 36 Registry. My Soverel 36 is a racer with a fixed fin keel and not the centerboard. If you have any specific questions feel free to ask me directly. I can say that all of my sails are made by the Quantum Design Group and have been very efficient. So, Quantum has all of my measurements and if you need to speak with someone specifically about sails for a Soverel 36, you can call the Quantum loft in Port Washington, NY. Quantum makes racing and cruising sails. In addition, my rudder got waterlogged so I had to replace it. I had to ship it and have a new one made custom because there were no exisiting records that I could find on the rudder. So, if you need a rudder get in touch and I will put you in touch with the folks who fabricated a new rudder for me.
Check your steering mechanism. When I replaced my rudder, I found that the assembly was largely fused by corrosion and had to replace it. You should climb your mast and lubricate all of the wheels as, over the years, they get dirty and stiff.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook