SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heave to, WTH?
Thread: Heave to, WTH?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifesailor View Post
Heaving to in 15 knots to have a relaxing lunch in the cockpit is a different animal from heaving to to spare wear and tear on the boat and crew in storm conditions.

There is no way your jib would survive being bashed against the speaders in 30-40 knots for hours. I personally wouldn't want the jib up if were heaving to even in as little as 20 knots of wind. Even in the winds I typically sail in, I roll in some jib before heaving to to keep the jib from touching anything.
Mostly true, at least on my boat.

In 15 - 20 kts I haven't found a way to avoid making some boat speed to windward. I haven't given up yet either. *grin*

As the wind comes up we sit broader to the wind and ultimately drift to leeward(ish).

While I have a 135 on the furler on Chesapeake Bay offshore I carry a 100. Hove-to the sail doesn't touch any of the rigging. I have leathers to wrap around the jib sheet if need be, but so far every evolution has had the sheet well down on the shroud roller and chafe hasn't been an issue.

As noted, different boats will respond somewhat differently but the concepts are the same.
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook