SailNet Community - View Single Post - How 'bout it? Any Soverel owners?
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010
SV Pelican

Location: summer/fall in Colorado; winter/spring in Guaymas, Sonora, Mexico
tpope is on a distinguished road
Its great to have this discussion of the Soverel boats. I own a 1974 Soverel 30 MKIII that is built well and performs superbly. This MKIII has the skeg mounted rudder that extends aft of the stern and the design really does give the boat excellent steering in all conditions. The original Bukh DVM 20 (Westerbeke Pilot 20) diesel, still runs strong. Even though this boat was designed as a cutter, I'm leaving her sloop rigged (with a working jib, 135 and 150 genoas) on a Hood rolller furling unit, mostly to keep the forward deck clear for our dinghy. All in all I think the Soverel is a much under recognized boat, but much valued judging by how few come on the market. A nice Soverel 33 set up for cruising had been put up for sale by its owner in June of this year in San Carlos, and it was sold within 2 months. I sail mostly in the Sea of Cortez, out of Guaymas/San Carlos, Sonora Mexico. Last spring my wife and I spent 5 weeks on our boat exploring from Guaymas to Santa Rosalia on the Baja and the splendid Baja coastline south to La Paz.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook