SailNet Community - View Single Post - Leak on a 28-2
Thread: Leak on a 28-2
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010

angus99 is on a distinguished road
Leak on a 28-2

Hi--

Great to find this forum.

I've owned a 1986 Cal 28-2 deep keel since the early 1990s. I haven't had a lot of time to spend with her in recent years, but am planning a major maintenance binge this winter.

I have a couple quick questions. There is a leak somewhere in the cabin that has defied repair. It's not coming in through the dorades (although the floors of the dorades have gaps in them, there's no sign of water damage on the inside of the headliner). I replaced the rubrail and sealed underneath it years ago. Also, I have a sunbrella cover over the main hatch that prevents that area from leaking. It's possible some fitting needs re-bedding--and I plan to do all of them, including the hatches, this winter--but again, no visible signs of water entry above the level of the gunnel. I've also re-bedded the genoa track twice over the years. I'm wondering if the smoked polycarbonate port covers on both sides of the cabin could be leaking.

Does anyone know of other common leak-prone areas to check? Has anyone replaced/re-bedded the polycarbonate port covers?

Thanks for any feedback.

Angus
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook