SailNet Community - View Single Post - yeah!
Thread: yeah!
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010

southerncross31 is on a distinguished road
Cool yeah!

Well, it's been a year since i sold the SC....... I have regretted it ever since. I picked up an Oday 25 last fall for 1,300 bucks but i really don't feel safe with my kids on it in the ocean!!! It is sooo tender and has a hard time fighting to windward with the centerboard. I have been really bummed out about having to sell the SC and have not been feeling like a man w/o a boat that can handle rough weather . Sooooooo, I just returned to the realm of 30 footers with a 1978 Pearson 31. Although a totally different boat than the SC....it has some features that the SC doesn't have. First and foremost is a keel stepped mast! Another plus is how beefy the chainplate/ strut assembly is!!! No bulkhead mounted chainplates on this boat (not that the SC had them... I was refering to the O- 25)! Actually everything about this boat seems incredibly well built. The hull to deck joint is much better than on the other Pearsons of this vintage and the rudder is better supported. One downside is the Atomic 4 ....... but I am hauling it out to western MA for the winter to work on it. If there are any other P-31 owners out there please let me know. I am new to the boat and would love any advice. These things are a huge labor of love but man does life suck w/o them!!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook