SailNet Community - View Single Post - Who''s living on what??
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2006

Valiente has a spectacular aura about Valiente has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by poog
At the end of the day life seems so much more cool when you get off the couch and find something different to do.
I'm a few days from closing on a 42' steel pilothouse cutter, and although I am 44, I have a similar story. I have mortgaged the recently paid-off house for about 40% of its value (thus "capturing" the bubble run-up since we bought it in '98) in order to buy the boat, reno the house as a duplex, and put my wife through teachers' college (so we can better "boat-school" our son, and so that she can substitute teach abroad or tutor other cruiser kids.) We plan on leaving in mid-2009 when our son turns eight, but we'll be fully aboard in '08.

I figure at least one winter aboard in Toronto will test the boat's systems, our tempers and our ruthlessness regarding "stuff" and will allow us to fully capture for the cruising kitty two rents from the house.

Our plan is to circumnavigate in five years...downwind, mostly...and to be back by 2014 when my kid turns 13 and will be tired of us...

A few dead relatives and guys my age having heart attacks and assorted bitterness has only steeled my resolve to follow this dream now instead of later. In fact, I am buying the boat from a guy who *isn't* going due to family and age issues.

Carpe bloody diem, and fair winds.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook