SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heave to, WTH?
Thread: Heave to, WTH?
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Would the main only heave-to pertain more to a full keeler than a fin keel? I'm really having trouble with this main only concept. The fluid-dynamics equations just aren't adding up for a C27.
Every boat is different - you just gotta experiment. Often as not, [unless you need a kip or to repair something], its really blowin, so you are reefed down.

3/4 rigs use more main - so it is more of the power. An old IOR, like a UFO34 has a smallish main and a huge genny (its main power).

To 'KISS'- you need the weather helm off the main to round up and the headsail to push the bow away. So you zig zag a little and slide 'downhill' - this creates what they are referring to ' the slick'.

Not every boat can heave to. I can in the Peterson, but prefer to slowly go to windward with only the storm jib up [ but I have not been caught out in anything beyond 65-70kn - so this is just my experiences]

I tack the storm jib on behind the furler and hoist it on a halyard at the 2nd spreader [where I have backstays]. This sail's luff has an angle of about 60 deg.

On the occasion I have needed it, I had its halyard and sheets ready. The sail in its bag with 100mm velcro at the opening. So, I hoisted it, the velcro popped and the sail went up, flogging just a little until the halyard was tight. I have a downhawl as well.

Although it all works well, I am always re-assessing how to do it all better and safer. (Thats where you guys come into the equation - thanks in advance)

{unrelated - but; I only have 2 reefs in the main. The reef points lie about where a normal 2nd and 3rd would lie and I use an outhawl and a downhawl at the mast.}

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by St Anna; 10-06-2010 at 07:16 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook