SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2013 America's Cup
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2010

mpickering is on a distinguished road
America's Cup has gone back to being a rich man's, elitist sport. Done now by professional sailors to win a trophy for the wealthiest who can afford it.

I watched the recent Cup race and was awed by the technology and at the same time saddened. Amazing technology but I think the spirit of the thing has been lost and gone back to nothing but an item of prestige and ego.

Admittedly, if I had Larry Ellison's money, I'd be doing the exact same thing. But after having gotten my fill of having the Cup for a few years and shown it off and lapsing into demented fantasy, I'd declare the next challenge for the Cup would be raced by 2-3 man dinghies that would have to made out of materials found at Home Depot except for sails, which would have to be cotton. Only standard wire rigging and conventional polyester lines allowed. Let the fun ensue! Competitive for the biggest yacht clubs and syndicates down to the backyard boatbuilder and their friends.

That would be a race and contest worth watching. It would be the biggest Challenge in history. The money I would save from building the super racer I would use to buy prime time slots to broadcast it to everyone.

Matt
Star #6100
Annapolis, MD

Last edited by mpickering; 10-06-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook