SailNet Community - View Single Post - Hans Christian 43 vs. Liberty 458
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellubentu View Post
Ok St. Anna, what you say about KPs is very important for me because I think that it should certainly be considered valid also for the Liberty 458 (same hull, center cockpit layout) but there is a difference because the Liberty has a "full teck deck" just like the Hans Christian !!
Hey tdw,
why do you say that HC seems a caricature ? Don't you think that it simply is an evolution of the excellent "Colin Archer design" ? I certanily agree with you when you say that there is too much teck, but what do you think about seaworthiness of the HC ?
I don't doubt that the HC is seaworthy, presuming well maintained.

Not sure that I agree with "excellent" Colin Archer design but for me the HC just takes the mock traditional a couple of steps too far. OK so the RS-1 and its descendants are built like brick outhouses but they are as slow as wet weekend in most conditions. It's debateable that a sailing lifeboat is the best starting point for a general purpose cruising yacht.

Have a look at Bob Perry's Baba series. Undeniably traditional in design and sentiment yet to my mind they make a far more sensible choice than the HC and from what I am told they would sail rings around any HC of comparable size. Even then I reckon the upkeep of the timber would be an ongoing nightmare.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook