SailNet Community - View Single Post - Good place to overnight Sunday/Monday in trailer sailer.
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010

sealover is on a distinguished road
Good place to overnight Sunday/Monday in trailer sailer.

Spent last Columbus day sailing from Sandy Point Park to Annapolis and back, and playing around under the Rt. 50 bridge and watching the big boats leave the show.

Will definitely be out somewhere again this Monday. Considering my first overnight on the boat Sunday night. Looking for suggestions on where.

A little background:
17' boat with little egg beater outboard and a decent cabin. One set of stretched out but usable sails. No spinnaker. In a 10 knots I can make 4-5 mph ground speed. (almost hull speed)

Will have two oversized anchors (a danforth and a borrowed navy-type) and a small folding grapnel from my other boat. Enough anchor line to tie off at Havre DeGrace and drift to Norfolk... None of which I've ever used.

Looking for somewhere I can put in Sunday afternoon (4-5 PM maybe) sail a bit to an anchorage, drop hook(s) eat something I packed, read a book then go to sleep. In the morning sail/explore and end up back at the ramp by dusk.

I'll be single-handed on the entire trip. Have a radio, GPS, all safety gear, etc. battery-operated, clip-on nav lights and all-around white light.

Safety of my tow vehicle and trailer is also a concern. I'm an hour north of Baltimore, but being a trailer sailer I can get to the ramp at 60 mph.

Suggestions? Any help is appreciated. Would consider a transient slip also, but really wouldn't need it, and don't see the need to spend the $.

S/V Waitara
Venture 21
PA Freshwater / Chesapeake
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook