SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do Whales like Concrete Boats!
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
I have said this somewhere else , so apologies...

We alternate antifoul colours. Last year we went black. The previous time we were black we had whales around (& I mean we were almost part of the pods) on a daily basis for most of the whale season! We were travelling north from about May. - Imagine sitting in the cockpit, having a nice 6kn sail and over your left shoulder, a tail appears, 20' behind your quarter. It disappears, only for the whale to resurface 30' off your stb bow.

Last year, heading south around Cape Moreton, we saw probably 20 whales in about 4 or 5 groups in the afternoon. One breached towards us, about 100m away. I flicked off the auto and watched. It then did a full breach, one (1) boat length away, landing towards our bow. We could see the hairs on the barnacles on his chin. [As I was spinning the wheel to get away from him] Our eyes were out on stalks looking out for this guy. This year, we saw enough whales, not that close, but close enough for concern, up north. I feel there could be something with the black paint and they come over to us.

I will never repaint the hull in black again and never need to see another humpback!!!

The years we have a blue or red hull, we see whales, only in the distance.

As for those guys - they were lucky, very lucky to get time to put out a mayday and to be found. 'We got one back from the sea'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook