SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do Whales like Concrete Boats!
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2010
Bristol 45.5 - AiniA

killarney_sailor is on a distinguished road
Last year we had a sperm whale that was a course to T-bone us alter course about 30 feet away and go behind us (thank you, big guy). I understand that whales do not see well, but this thread has me wondering. I assumed that he saw us on sonar and waited until he was close before deciding whether to alter course (we were on starboard!); perhaps he just could not echo-sense us at all and turned when he got close enough to see us.

Our hull has dark blue bottom paint and I had decided against black already. Going to paint next week, perhaps I should be using red to be on the safer side?

I must say that seeing a whale really close (in our case about 10') does focus the attention wonderfully. My wife who was the first one to see him/her could only make frantic noises - I chastised her for not using the classic, "There she blows" and she almost hit me. No sense of humour I guess.