SailNet Community - View Single Post - Do Whales like Concrete Boats!
View Single Post
post #6 of Old 10-08-2010
St Anna

Quote:
Originally Posted by killarney_sailor View Post
Last year we had a sperm whale that was a course to T-bone us alter course about 30 feet away and go behind us (thank you, big guy). I understand that whales do not see well, but this thread has me wondering. I assumed that he saw us on sonar and waited until he was close before deciding whether to alter course (we were on starboard!); perhaps he just could not echo-sense us at all and turned when he got close enough to see us.

Our hull has dark blue bottom paint and I had decided against black already. Going to paint next week, perhaps I should be using red to be on the safer side?

I must say that seeing a whale really close (in our case about 10') does focus the attention wonderfully. My wife who was the first one to see him/her could only make frantic noises - I chastised her for not using the classic, "There she blows" and she almost hit me. No sense of humour I guess.
In Qld, their numbers are rapidly increasing - there will be dramas one day soon. Maybe an active 'sonar' noise may discourage them.

I agree with you about certain closely related people you take with you onboard.....If it happens again to you guys, I'll nominate you for the FAMOUS LAST WORDS QUOTEBOOK.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome