SailNet Community - View Single Post - Solo to Block Island
View Single Post
Old 10-09-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Solo to Block Island

Anchor down in New Harbor at Block Island. Was an excellent trip. I put 2 reefs in the main and let the whole jenny out (130%). I soon realized that I could shake out a reef, but didn't really want to leave the cockpit, so that's how we sailed. Saw the sun set while still an hour or more out. Came into the harbor entrance in darkness. Having a spotlight really helps, as does the chartplotter on the Droid.

Very easy to find a place to anchor. 1/2 the harbor is completely empty; the boats that are here prefer to be closer to the action in the south end of the harbor. Literally, I had the upper half of the anchorage to choose from. Here are some pictures.

Passing Montauk Light House

Block Island in the distance

Block Island in the distance -- same picture but zoomed-in.

Sunset

Getting closer to Block. It's getting darker.

The crescent moon setting.

Moonset. You have to look close, you'll see the crescent just starting to hit the horizon.

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .

Last edited by Bene505; 10-09-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook