SailNet Community - View Single Post - Roll
Thread: Roll
View Single Post
post #5 of Old 10-11-2010
St Anna

Tide against wind cause the yacht to lie beam on to the swell at anchor. Methods to minimise this are as said earlier, but also include the type of keel - a small thin fin will cause a more jerky motion than a fuller keel. The beam of the boat will also play a part - but more so if the widest part is right at the stern. These 'bendy types' have a flat hull section aft of the small bolt on keel. The keel resistance is concentrated in a small area as opposed to a fuller type of keel.

A few months ago we were stuck in an anchorage which was very rolly [for about 10 days]. A 50' beneteau anchored close to us (too close - another story). As I spent a good deal of time watching this neighbor, I concluded that he rolled much more than we did. I even got to see his keel. His 'roll' was very jerky and althoughs ours was a PITA, I would hate to spend a night on our neighbors beneteau.

There are ways to minimise/reduce/eliminate ' roll' at anchor such as 'flopper stoppers, or a split snubber. We sometimes drag a small drogue to keep the bow into the tide flow

You mentioned a catamaran - I am biased but they can tend to have a 'washing machine' [some say seasick producing] like motion which is very unlike the smooth predictable motion of a yacht under sail. Go for a sail in a cat in some reasonable breeze and seas before you believe all the hype.

have a look at our 'sailing cat' Even she looks under the weather!
http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/v...a/P8030021.jpg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome