SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Paulo's boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
I'd have one in a flash Paolo. That is gobsmackingly lovely to my eyes. (if you need a translation for 'gobsmacking' let me know. ) In short I like what I see. Bit larger than I need or want but life is rarely perfect.
I'm guessing though that it is a nothern European design, probably Dutch or thereabouts.
The boat I have posted would be lighter and would have a much bigger rig and sail plan. It would be incomparably faster than the one from Perry (that is a lovely design, but has much of a modern motor-sailor).

Well, you are half right about the Dutch designer, but most of the design is mine . Well, I have always designed the houses I have lived in, so why should I not design the boat I wanted?

That is pretty much the boat I wanted 6 or seven years ago. As I have design limitations on the technical parts of the boat (ruder design and assembly, keel fixation and hull structural design) I took a very seaworthy and sound old design by Dick Koopmans and have modified it. Different bow, different and larger stern, slightly longer hull and a bulbed keel, to have the same righting moment with a smaller ballast (lighter boat) and a much bigger waterline. The interior is all mine.

The drawings were shown to Mr. Koopmans that had agreed to alter his boat plans (for not too much money) to accommodate my drawings. I have looked for aluminum builders (the best places were Neederlands or South Africa) and it would cost (at that time) something a bit over 300 000 euros. But the business opportunities that would have made it possible never come true.

This is the original design:

Anyway a short time after finishing those designs, my idea of a perfect boat changed and I had made another design, also over an existing aluminum boat, from another Dutch designer, a more modern and faster boat, and less of a classic

But I was right, this is the kind of boat that you would like to have

By the way my memory was at fault, the boat that I have posted is a 45ft, not a 46fter (the second design was slightly bigger).

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-22-2013 at 12:53 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook