SailNet Community - View Single Post - 1973 Seafarer 24'
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010

flwaterman is on a distinguished road
Hey dude, where in florida? On the subject of your potential purchase, I am sympathetic. Cheap and floating and I'm pretty handy. I was drawn in by the same lure. I have a seafarer 22 project and it's been fun and educational. But please be as objective as possible. Think about everything that you know you need on a fun overnight / daysailer and look carefully at what is there. Go online and price things you will need - like an engine and a most-likely a custom built or homemade rudder. Check out the deck carefully. Rot in the balsa core is a problem that you may have to deal with in the near future. Check the condition of the rigging and backing. Keep track of all the things you would need to replace or repair on paper and find as many cost estimates as possible for these items. If your anything like me you should take your repair time estimates and double them - but then again I'm lazy.
Not trying to discourage you - instead take these estimates and see what you can find with these costs added to the purchase price. That in mind seafarer built some solid hulls and if you take on the project - you will not be disappointed in the end - except for the time lost sailing.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook