SailNet Community - View Single Post - Big Freakin' Sails
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010

St Anna is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinsdad View Post
ST Anna, One question, why the assumption you wouldn't want to be in a multihull. Alot of research show them to be more capable in heavy winds/conditions. I currently own a 35' catamaran which replaced a 34' monohull. I take my cat out in conditions much rougher than I ever would have dared to do in the monohull, even with the wife and kids. I can only imagine their reaction to the heel and spray in 25kt winds on the old boat with that famous Long Island Sound chop!!!!
Hi Twinsdad, how are things going?

Yeah, just an assumption, based on a single previous experience. On a 42' cat, I've been in about 30-35kn, and about 2-3m seas. It was scary as the wavelength of the seas seemed to be about the same as the beam and the lenght of the cat. Even the owner was concerned and he had done some miles in her.

The motion was what I would describe as like 'walking', with the leeward hull trying to catch up into the swell.

So, this stuff was worse and we just plowed through, on a heel. Boat was fine and so were we. The boat has been through worse before I got her.

Could you point me to the research, because I have an open mind, but am skeptical. I once owned a calypso cat (like a hobie but of course better, faster etc etc ) I have thrown it around a real lot in windy and choppy conditions, through surf and things like that.

On your cat in rough weather, do you have to work the rudders or can you just let the autopilot do all the work?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook