SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Sails
Thread: New Sails
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010

DropTop is on a distinguished road
New Sails

I'm in the process of deciding on what loft to go with for new sails (main and genoa) for next season. I have it narrowed down to 3 lofts, and for the most part they are fairly close in price. My question isn't so much which loft I should go with, it's more about which cloth I should go with.

Before I go any further, My boat is a 1990 Hunter 27' with 5k lbs displacement, fractional rig. I do not race the boat, but I do like to push the boat fairly hard and always strive to get the boat to hull speed whenever possible because I A). enjoy trimming the sails just right and making the boat go fast and B). like to take frequent weekend trips and the faster I can make the boat, the farther I can go / the happier my girlfriend is (more time to see where ever we are going, less time getting there)

Below is the cloth recommendations from each sail maker:

-Ullman Sails, Bainbridge Ocean 6.55oz cloth for both the main and the Genoa

-Kappa Sails, 5.9 High Modulus Dacrons for the Genoa, and 6.62oz High Aspect Dacron for the main

-Neil Pryde, Challenge Performance Cruise 6.18oz cross cut Dacron for the Main, and Challenge Low Aspect High Modulus 5.53oz cross cut Dacron for the Genoa.

I'm looking for input more on the cloth recommendations than feedback on the actual lofts, but both are apprecieated.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook