SailNet Community - View Single Post - crusing long island sound and shelter isl. looking for moorings , friends, nightlife
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Jason,

Excellent follow-up. Do you have any pictures?

I anchored at Block on Saturday night. It was almost deserted, especially compared to summer. It was a luxury putting out plenty of chain with no boats nearby to worry about.

Some places close for the season on Columbus Day, so there was one more day after Sunday morning to get coffee and bagels at the Champlain's dock.

One benefit of it being deserted was this: I bought $80 of diesel and filled all 1000 liters of water. Filling the water tanks took about 30 minutes using their little white hose. There were no worries that some powerboat was waiting on me to buy $5000 of diesel. I even straightened up the foredeck before casting off.

Of course it may have been deserted in part because the wind was really blowing on the sound. Started out double reefed then shook out a reef.

The few times I've been there, I usually anchor to the north. You can find 30 foot depth and get your anchor to hold on the first or second try.

Regards,
Brad

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. .
. .
. .
. .
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook