SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wheel to Tiller Conversion
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2010

JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough JohnRPollard is a jewel in the rough
Dave,

For some reason I thought you had converted over to tiller before the big trip? I guess that must be a memory aberration on my part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANKA View Post
...I think that the only time a wheel might be better is reversing under power or if your boat is badly balanced for some reason. Since we all try to avoid this as much as possible, the wheel is really decorative....
We have some good threads here on Sailnet that debate the pros/cons of tillers vs. wheels. I don't want to sidetrack Dave's tiller conversion thread, but in those threads you can find a lot of good reasons to opt for the wheel.

It's difficult to make sweeping generalizations that one is better than the other. What may seem like the better solution for a singlehander or couple, may be untenable for a family or crewed boat. Personal preference and other circumstances may dictate different solutions even for identical models with identical cockpit layouts.

In the case of the Crealock 31, the cockpit is proportionally larger and was specifically designed to better accommodate a wheel (i.e., "T"-shaped footwell, as opposed to rectangular like the 34 and 37). I prefer the feel of a tiller, but I wouldn't want one on our boat. I can easily see how others might make the opposite choice. It's good to have options.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pacific Seacraft Crealock 31 #62

NEVER CALLS CRUISINGDAD BACK....CAN"T TAKE THE ACCENT

Last edited by JohnRPollard; 10-13-2010 at 01:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook