SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sabre 42- comments appreciated vs IP
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Most of the time I agree with CD. I do agree very much in the sailing characteristics of his post Sailing ability does matter a lot.

To say a 42 foot Sabre is an overpriced Catalina is quite a stretch though. Catalinas would like to be mentioned in the same line, but sorry afraid not. I have respected the Catalina brand and build line always thinking it as step better than the other production boats. Catalinas have good resale value compared to other production boats. They dont change designs every 3 years or model numbers. I like their design in many ways. I have done enough blue water sailing to recognize though that build quality of the hull, deck/ hull joint, bulkheads is important. I will let Jeff also talk about their hull laminating and fabrication comparisons. The cockpit is not at all similar. The Sabre is much smaller and less dangerous in a seaway. Less area to get pooped. Catlina is designed to cruise...mainly coastally. Sabres are that plus are a fast boat. Again no comparison except in very very light winds. Sabre with 100% fore triangle sports a robust 901 sqft while the Catalina is a respectable 808. Sabre displacement is 24,000 while the Catalina comes in at 19,700 which creates a disparaging difference in Displacement length ratio from 230 for the Sabre to 188 for the Catalina. While the Sabre is faster, it has the heft in the larger seas also.

As far as inside comfort, I see very few advantages that a Catalina has over a Sabre. Putting aside individual preferences one does not rise above the other. CD I respect your authority when it comes to the Catalinas, as you own one. Dont you also have some connection in your job with the Catalina Company? I do not say that to impugn your itegrity as I have always found you to be straightforward and honest and have enjoyed your posts and fairness as a moderator. I have to in this case part ways with you. Your analysis of Sabre is inaccurate. I hope some of the Sabre owers step forward and talk about their boats here as they know more about them then I do. If someone gave me a choice between a Sabre 42 or a Catlina 40 for the application lawdawg is stating here, I would not think twice all things being equal in the condition of the boats. Sabre hands down.

By the way I do agree with CD about the Passport. Robust...good living conditions....good tankage....very underestimated in the their speed
Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner

Last edited by chef2sail; 10-14-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook