SailNet Community - View Single Post - Please tell me I am not crazy?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2010

OceanCKR is on a distinguished road
Please tell me I am not crazy?

I searched for posts that would enlighten me to my exact situation, nothing seemed to tell me that I could be making a really bad decision, or maybe a good one. That said, my wife and I are considering selling our house and moving aboard a boat with our 2 children (son 8, daughter 5). I can't seem to find a post in any liveaboard forum that speaks specifically about the pros and cons of just living aboard a boat this size as a family in a slip in San Diego, raising kids, learning to sail, living in a floating condo for just that reason.

Our plan... this is where I need to know if I am crazy, or if this might actually work. Sell the house, buy a 50 foot boat with 3 staterooms and and liveaboard in a marina in San Diego (Shelter Island, or near by) while the kids go to school in Pt. Loma. The reason for this is that we are tired of paying a huge mortgage and are looking to simplify life and save some money for our future. We are tired of the concrete jungle and keeping up with the Jones's. We are incredibly close and are the kind of family who can be in close quarters together. We are a very adventurous and out doors family, camping regularly, traveling the world. I am an avid surfer and diver, the ocean is my home away home.

I have read many threads about the difficulties of just getting a slip this big as a liveaboard. Also how the lifestyle or those other liveaboards around us may not be the best environment to raise our kids in. Whether it is safe or not for my wife and kids while I am at work all day?

I really just want or need to hear that this is either a terrible idea, or one that will work if we make it work. I know that there are lots of challenges with owning a boat, all the maintenance etc. Will we even be able to find a liveaboard slip for a boat this size? We are willing to accept and embrace this lifestyle, it is what we think want to do in preparation for eventually departing on a global cruising adventure once the kids are on their own.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook