SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sabre 42- comments appreciated vs IP
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Jesus Brian, that is quite a post

I don't know both boats to make a comment, except in what regards design. The Catalina hull seems to be a more modern one, at least on what concerns the stern. There are a thread that explains why modern boats have broader sterns and why they are a better option (and that does not mean necessarily beamier boats).

The Sabre hull design looks like a 15 or 20 year's old European design.

Comparing with Jeanneaus, Beneteaus and Bavarias, both has no, or very small bulbs while modern European boats have almost all its keel weight on a big bulb on the Keel bottom. For having the same righting moment of a bulbed keel in a keel without bulb a given boat has to have many more hundredths of Kgs to compensate. This results on an heavier boat needing a bigger Ballast/Displacement ratio for the same effect and in a slower boat.

Regards

Paulo
I think the new Sabre 423 is a pretty fast boat. Nice design, but not a really modern boat with plumb bow and removeable bowsprit, etc. I am not sure it is fractional.

This is a really cool boat. I am excited to see Catalina making some nice changes. WHatcha think?? Catalina 445 boat test and boat review

Fractional rig, removeable bowsprit, plumb bow, sa/D 16.7... I like it. It is also a break from Catalina tradition in that they cored the hull above the waterline and glassed in the stern/deck/hull versus that rediculous hull deck joint thing that Beneteau does. Looks a sweet ride.

Brian

1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook