SailNet Community - View Single Post - How hard/$$$ to replace furling main with a proper battened one?
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2010
Man Overboard

EarthBM is on a distinguished road
Thanks! Yes, Cape Horn would be a destination in itself (always wanted to), if find myself running high on heroism and low on accumulated damages.

I guess the main question is about the mast - can the same mast be adapted? Cost of the sail would be there anyway because I suspect the current main is not in great shape. If I have to replace the mast than this is a no go.

More weatherhelm is clear (and probably not that great on a cat, don't want more apparent wind in a puff), but the boat seems a bit underpowered now, so this is likely not a problem. Besides some can probably be fixed by tightening the forestay, no?

I am just guessing that some manufacturer somewhere must've offered a furling "touring" rig and a battened "racing" rig on the same boat (hopefully with the same mast height), providing polar charts for both. Then this would give me a general idea for performance difference (eg furling 75% of battened in 10kt on beam reach, etc...)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook