SailNet Community - View Single Post - Replacing Trickle Charger with 3 stage charger
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2010

jasoncandace is on a distinguished road
Replacing Trickle Charger with 3 stage charger

Hi All - our first post...hope someone can shed some light

Bought our first sailboat 2 weeks ago - it ran fine at sea trial and survey was great (did suggest replacing trickle charger with newer 3 stage) ....the existing owner gave us a very brief tutorial on the existing old school trickle charger ....a week later motor wouldnt turn over, so i checked both batteries and they were both bone dry and corroded. From all the reading I've done this is probably from overcharging.

I have purchased a 3 stage charger ProMariner ProSport12 recommended by steveston marine (as well as installed new batteries - starting and deep cycle)

Battery1
Starting
Dekka part 24m6
Series 3600
Cca 24m 650
Ca - 850

Battery2
Deep cycle
Dekka Part dc24
Cca 24rv50
Ca 625
Rc 150

On the existing trickle charger located in the head, there are three cables - power, positive and negative

The negative cable from the existing trickle charger runs to the negative terminal on the starting/cranking battery.
The positive cable is connected thru the Battery Switch (1, 2, ALL, Off)
The power cable goes to an AC outlet of course

my question is this:

with the new ProMariner Prosport 12a 3 stage charger, with no risk of overcharging, can i just mount the charger in the lazarette beside the batteries, connect the charger to both batteries (as it says in the manual) and NOT connect thru the Battery Switch at all?

Any assistance would be appreciated!
29ft
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook