SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pirates NE of Seychelles
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010

Daveinet is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneAge View Post
I certainly do not agree that the pirates in Somalia ought to be doing what they are doing, but the circumstances that caused this aren't discussed very often. The commercial ships coming out of Suez are creating a dead zone in Somali Fishing territory and the Somali fisheries are all but dead. This was their major livelihood and the major shipping companies have completely disrespected Somali territory.

These people are desperate and need to feed their families. They see the attacks on the ships as a sort of revenge for destroying their way of life. I certainly feel for them. I don't condone what they do, but I understand why they do it.
Your statement would suggest you do not have a clear understanding of right and wrong. The reason why should not soften you approach in how you deal with right and wrong. Right and wrong are absolutes for all times and places.

When it comes to Pirates or Terrorism, one needs to ask how bad do you want to win? Either you want to win against evil or you don't. The problems we have now are caused by people who did not want to win bad enough. Its much better to deal with it when it is a small problem. The softer we are now, means the problem will be worse for those who follow after us.
Hobie 14'
Sunfish project boat

Sailing a large boat on a small lake is very tacky.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook