SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cored Hulls and Decks
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Cored Hulls and Decks

Ok, so I realise that there have been many a thread on the subject but they tend to get spread and lost in the vast thread count that is SailNet.

I'm canvasing opinions. Not just on the materials but also the methods. Sure I would have to guess that a 30 year old Taiwanese with cored hull and/or decks could well be a nightmare but is that the case with a more modern, lets say non Asian, even non production boat ?

As the long and admittedly tedious search for the next Womboat continues, more and more I see cored boats. Sometimes just deck, sometimes, deck and hull to waterline, sometimes the whole shebang. There was a time I'd have ignored even a cored deck but am I merely behaving like a dynosaur ?

Drill into a core and fail to seal off the core then you are asking for trouble, but is that merely avoiding bad maintenance practices rather than a fault with the material itself, be that balsa or foam ?

My knowledge is limited to a belief that Balsa in stronger than foam but that it is subject to degredation from moisture. The same could well be said of other materials if not properly built or maintained. I would guess that is the case anyway. Some folk say that Balsa should never be used below the waterline, indeed some say no hull should be cored at all below the waterline.

So please...your opionions and experiences ?

Balsa - Above the waterline ? Below the waterline ? Avoid at all costs ?

Foam - Klegercell, Airex, Divnycell ? All essentially the same stuff ?

- Above the waterline ? Below the Waterline ? Avoid at all costs ?

I'd seriously appreciate the feedback.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 10-17-2010 at 10:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook