SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is it possible or just a dream....???
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 10-17-2010 Thread Starter
Is it possible or just a dream....???

It has been a thought for some time to sail to Hawaii, or beyond. As a landlocked sailor with little off-shore experience, I have seriously considered trying to crew on a boat going to Hawaii to see if I have what it takes to see some of the world on a boat of my own. I've been around long enough to know that sometimes reality gets in the way of dreaming. Here is my experience:
- ASA 101, 103, 104
- Chartered off of Southern California 2x for a week at a time
- owner of a 22' sailboat on a land locked lake. I get about 45 days under sail annually under a variety of wind conditions.
- Tremendous desire to learn all I can and push myself to become a first rate sailor

I've been sailing now for 3-years and know it is not a passing fad. I'm also old enough (51 years) to know my limitations. While I would really like to find an experienced captain and crew to learn from, but I also know that I have such little experience that I might just become a liability, i.e. seasickness, a lack of experience, etc. Day sailing on a lake and long distance sailiing on the ocean are two different things altogether. However, if these turn out not to be concerns, I have a career in high stress decision making, people skills, and a quality work ethic.

Am I just dreaming or is this a reality??? There is a tremendous amount of experience on the website and maybe some that have been in the same decision making situation as me.
Thank you.
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome