SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is it possible or just a dream....???
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2010

seb5thman is on a distinguished road
Is it possible or just a dream....???

It has been a thought for some time to sail to Hawaii, or beyond. As a landlocked sailor with little off-shore experience, I have seriously considered trying to crew on a boat going to Hawaii to see if I have what it takes to see some of the world on a boat of my own. I've been around long enough to know that sometimes reality gets in the way of dreaming. Here is my experience:
- ASA 101, 103, 104
- Chartered off of Southern California 2x for a week at a time
- owner of a 22' sailboat on a land locked lake. I get about 45 days under sail annually under a variety of wind conditions.
- Tremendous desire to learn all I can and push myself to become a first rate sailor

I've been sailing now for 3-years and know it is not a passing fad. I'm also old enough (51 years) to know my limitations. While I would really like to find an experienced captain and crew to learn from, but I also know that I have such little experience that I might just become a liability, i.e. seasickness, a lack of experience, etc. Day sailing on a lake and long distance sailiing on the ocean are two different things altogether. However, if these turn out not to be concerns, I have a career in high stress decision making, people skills, and a quality work ethic.

Am I just dreaming or is this a reality??? There is a tremendous amount of experience on the website and maybe some that have been in the same decision making situation as me.
Thank you.
Seb5thman
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook