Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Gig Harbor, WA
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Rep Power: 6
I will carry when I am out, every time. I will carry a .44 mag lever action, as the same size round works for a revolver. I know that it is a hassle, but I have arrested too many pirates and been around too much bad stuff to not. I wish I didn't know what I know, but then again, don't we all.
It seems to me that it comes to balancing a number of opposing factors.
- Carrying a firearm can lead to legal issues in most non-US ports and possibly even in some US ports.
- Having a weapon available could possible prevent injury and death to your person.
- Having a weapon available could possibly escalate an encounter with those with criminal intent from robbery to violence.
- There is also the question of when and if the cruiser is willing to use deadly force. Not a simple question for any but the simple minded.
- Perceived risks in your particular cruising grounds.
I can see folks evaluating the above and coming to very different conclusions based on how much weight they give to each of those considerations.
M/V Kinship, North Pacific 43
S/V Legacy, Catalina 400 MkII, Hull #328