SailNet Community - View Single Post - Yanmar 3gmd Max RPM
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010

casey1999 is on a distinguished road
I recently cleaned and bottom painted hull and cleaned the prop. I bought the boat 4 months ago and from what I know the prop is original. Boat was built in Austrailia in 1978. Engine looks to have been installed in about 1980. Prop might be wrong but if it is it has been in the boat for 30 years. The engine may have always run like this, the last owner could not give me much information on the boat. The prop rotates freely by hand (no binding) and I have no abnormal vibration. The boat has been around the world recently (via panama, and cape of good hope) so the system is workable- I just want to make sure it is not going to hurt the engine long term. The engine does produce a white / grey smoke at all rpm's both high and idle. I have replace the thermostat (which was totally corroded) but this had no effect on the engine running. The engine does produce a kind of burning odor from the exhaust but the engine temperature seems ok (no high temp light and engine and exhaust can all be touched with the hand for several seconds without being too hot. Engine buns no oil and at 2400 rpm burns about 1/3 gallon per hour (at 6 knots) which seems normal.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook