SailNet Community - View Single Post - Kudos to Catalina
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 10-19-2010 Thread Starter
JimMcGee

Kudos to Catalina

We have a 1995 Catalina 30 MKIII and we're gradually re-doing/modernizing the whole boat. One of the things that drove me crazy was that the previous owner had cracked the lid to the fridge and his attempt at a repair meant the lid didn't quite seal, so the freezer unit was always icing up. Complicating any fix is that Catalina molds their countertops out of a fiberglass mixture that looks a bit like Corian. So any attempt to remedy the lid would stand out like a sore thumb.

This is my second Catalina so I’m familiar with their customer service. I called the Florida plant and asked if they could make a new top color matched to our counter. They could.

I shipped the old lid to Florida. The job was done as “fill-in” work between other projects in their fiberglass shop, so I made a temporary lid to use while we waited. When we finally got the new lid back it was a perfect match. They recommended fine tuning the fit with a sander (which I just finished) and then sending the lid back if it needed any color touchup. Not sure if I’ll bother as the spot I sanded is to the back and out of sight.

We’re the third owners of a 15 year old boat, and they charged us less than $100 because their shop got backlogged and took longer than expected. How many other companies would make custom parts for a 15 year old boat?

This is our second Catalina and they continue to impress me with their customer service.

Jim

95 Catalina 30 Island Time

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome