SailNet Community - View Single Post - European sailboats ( especially Contest, Sigma, Etap... )
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010
baDumbumbum

bobmcgov will become famous soon enough
The Contest line was built by Conyplex to typically stout Scandinavian guidelines. There are at least three 36' Contests by two different designers, and they vary by 60 points on the PHRF scale. The wing keel version is painfully slow and (one suspects) makes leeway like a haystack.

That's the impression I've gotten researching Contests: all their boats are well-found and comfortable in a seaway; but some sail moderately well, while others (like the Contest 31, SA/D=11) are out-and-out dogs. Woof. Moo. I'd want a sea trial in both light winds and 25 kts before buying one.

Soory to say, forget resale value. Obscure boats may suffer on resale, but they should (should!) also be cheaper when you buy one. Choose what you can afford to purchase and keep that makes you happy. When you sell it, take your beating like a man. Appreciation of your boat counts for more than depreciation.

Etaps are well-regarded, but that's all I know of them. Foam-cored and unsinkable, aren't they?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook