SailNet Community - View Single Post - Xantrex/Heart Freedom 25 -- How to connect Water Heater
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010
Glad I found Sailnet

Bene505 will become famous soon enough Bene505 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by remetau View Post
I agree with others, why complicate this?

Connect the water heater to a breaker on the AC panel. You can turn it on when on shore. We never ran it from an inverter, it would draw too much, but we did run it using a Honda generator.

Install a 12v heating element. If your water heater has only one element, then you can get a new element that has 110v and 12v connections on it.

I prefer the Flexcharge over the C60 since it dumps the load directly from the wind turbine instead of the batteries.
Both 110v and 12v connections on the same heater element? Nice. I may have to look into it.

We spend the summer on the hook, usually at the beach all day. It would be great to have hot water when we return. But only as a dump load for the wind generator. I have no desire to run down the batteries heating hot water. Where were are, the average wind in July and August is something like 10 or 12 knots.

Note that the water will heat up eventually (especially if we just ran the engine, which would make the batteries more charged too) and I'll still need another dump load. That second dump load will be a more standard type (heater or fans, probably both). I left that out of the diagram to make the conversation here a little easier.

Thanks for the insights. More diagrams coming...

Regards,
Brad
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.
The best minds discuss sailing, anchors, batteries, rode length, fridge-or-not, freezer-or-not, and guns-on-board. I don't know why. It's a mystery!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook