SailNet Community - View Single Post - Xantrex/Heart Freedom 25 -- How to connect Water Heater
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010

remetau is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bene505 View Post
Both 110v and 12v connections on the same heater element? Nice. I may have to look into it.
Check here: SVHotwire Landing Page

Quote:
We spend the summer on the hook, usually at the beach all day. It would be great to have hot water when we return. But only as a dump load for the wind generator. I have no desire to run down the batteries heating hot water. Where were are, the average wind in July and August is something like 10 or 12 knots.
We no longer use an electric water heater, but when we did, we never had hot water from a wind gen diversion load. It may slightly warm it, but it just isn't that much power. Plus, if your batteries need charged at all, then the diversion doesn't even kick in.

Quote:
Note that the water will heat up eventually (especially if we just ran the engine, which would make the batteries more charged too) and I'll still need another dump load. That second dump load will be a more standard type (heater or fans, probably both). I left that out of the diagram to make the conversation here a little easier.
What is the other dump load for?

With the electric water heater, we found that the best way to heat water away from shore was to use the engine. The water heater we had used the water from the engine to heat the potable water.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook