SailNet Community - View Single Post - What's your biggest bonehead move sailing?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010
Mirage 29

sailjunkie is on a distinguished road
Perhaps this thread should be re-named from "Biggest Bonehead Move" to "Most Recent Bonehead Move"

Mine was when we were coming back to the dock a couple of weeks ago. When it is just The Admiral and me, things go smoothly. However, this time, we had guests who thought they could help.

Alas, someone told me we were lined up right when we weren't. Fortunately, the only damage was to my ego.

Here's what we learned:
  1. Even if your guests have sailing experience, don't change your routine. In this case, I should have asked the The Admiral for a visual. Backing up for another approach would have been easy. Second, The Admiral should have handled the lines that she normally looks after.
  2. If guests are blocking your view of the dock, politely ask them to move. Because I use corrective lenses for depth perception, I would have had a ready-made excuse.

But WTH, moments like this are what make sailing fun. You always learn. The Admiral and I don't scream over stuff like this anymore. This was another "Teachable Moment"

S/V Avatar
Mirage 29'
Port Moody, BC

It's not my fault they named a movie after our boat
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook