SailNet Community - View Single Post - European sailboats ( especially Contest, Sigma, Etap... )
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010

PCP will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmcgov View Post
The Contest line was built by Conyplex to typically stout Scandinavian guidelines. There are at least three 36' Contests by two different designers, and they vary by 60 points on the PHRF scale. The wing keel version is painfully slow and (one suspects) makes leeway like a haystack.

That's the impression I've gotten researching Contests: all their boats are well-found and comfortable in a seaway; but some sail moderately well, while others (like the Contest 31, SA/D=11) are out-and-out dogs. Woof. Moo. I'd want a sea trial in both light winds and 25 kts before buying one.

Soory to say, forget resale value. Obscure boats may suffer on resale, but they should (should!) also be cheaper when you buy one. Choose what you can afford to purchase and keep that makes you happy. When you sell it, take your beating like a man. Appreciation of your boat counts for more than depreciation.
Contest have in Europe a very high resale value. It is not an obscure boat but one of the most well built and seaworty boat ever built. The company still exists (and that says a lot about the quality of their boats) and still makes beautiful and very expensive bluewater boats. This is a typical Dutch boat, that can be compared to Halberg Rassy, not in its design, but in its quality, and that is especially true with older boats. I think the new ones are even more expensive

Contest Yachts | Home

I think, without looking at anything, that older Contest are slightly faster than HR, but they would be considered slow boats by today's parameters. Older Contest were designed by Dick Zall, a very good Dutch designer. These boats, even with 36ft, are really bluewater boats. There are two 36ft, one that was built from 1974 to 1981 and other from 1984 to 1994. The first one is an old design, but the second one is a beautiful boat, designed already with the shape that would be a trademark for all Contests for almost 20 years. If you are talking about one of the last, than it is natural that the boat cost still good money . It is a very good boat, with a classical line .

http://www.contestyachts.com/media/938/contest-36s.pdf

Contest 36s | Dick Zaal Yacht Design

You have active British and Duch Contest Clubs owners:

Home

Contest Yacht Owners Club

You can ask them about that boat, I am sure they will be glad to help.

Regards

Paulo

Last edited by PCP; 10-21-2010 at 05:08 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook