SailNet Community - View Single Post - Canaries to the Caribbean Nov/Dez 2010
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake123 View Post
well, not to offend you sailingdog:

But the trip is not to be a bargain for anyone. Neither the Skip nor the rest of the crew. You and I know that a decent boat is necessary to cross the Atlantic. Do you own one? Well, if so, you can go ahead and sail on your own making decisions as you wish. If not, and you´d still like to participate in xing the ocean, you will need to make arrangements. Either purchase a boat or ask someone to take you along.

I think it´s just fair to have everyone contribute to the running costs, no one is asking the crew for money for parts, gas, harbouring, mooring, etc..

Here, no one is hiring a crew. Nor buying. People are being asked, just like your friends would ask you to go on vacation with them. Will they be paying your expenses? No! The only difference now is: Here you do not know the rest of the crew - YET!
I'm not saying that crew volunteering for a delivery should be paid... I'm just pointing out that by crewing for the trip, they are giving up the ability to earn money, and that this trip is not a cruise, but a delivery trip. Delivery trips are generally a lot of hard work and often done under less than optimal weather conditions, since the goal is to MOVE THE BOAT.

Asking someone to work their ass off under less than optimal conditions for two-to-three weeks, for free and then ask them to pay for their food and their airfare really doesn't strike me as a good deal for them. The minimum I'd expect the captain to do is feed the crew... especially if they're not paying for the transportation to and from the boat.

If this were a pleasure cruise, that would be a different story entirely. It isn't.
Quote:
So, if someone is looking for making money out of this - this is the wrong place! It´s all about fairness and having fun for 2-3 weeks. And that will actually cost you a little. But therefore you will have a great boat and two great sailors participating.

Hope this helps...and again: NO offense ok. Just clarifying...
I'd also point out that in general, the people who would be willing to accept these terms are sailors who are probably less experienced and looking to gain experience. While that may be fine, it does leave you with a less capable crew overall. Of course, this may just be based on my expectations, but on the last delivery I did, I repaired the autopilot, fixed the shower sump, fixed the transmission, and repaired the air conditioning among other things.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook