SailNet Community - View Single Post - Canaries to the Caribbean Nov/Dez 2010
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
Just curious, how do you see this as not being a straight delivery trip? The trip is about 2700 nm as the crow flies. You say the trip will last 17-21 days... I see that as pretty much a straight delivery.

If you make it in 17 days, you're making about 160 nm per day or have to average 6.62 knots... That's moving pretty good for a 36' catamaran, and not leaving much time for sightseeing or anything else. Even at 21 days, you're still looking at 130 nm per day or 5.42 knots per day. Of course, you'd have to have an almost perfect weather window to make that kind of speed, as I seriously doubt you've got enough fuel aboard the boat for more than 300 NM or so of motoring.

You say that the boat is in great shape and no repairs are necessary, but I've found that repairs are pretty much a fact of life... If you don't have to repair something during the course of a trans-Atlantic passage, I'd be really surprised.

So, I'm just curious as how you see this as being a vacation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake123 View Post
@ sailingdog:

I see your point. And yes, I agree, for a straight delivery all expenses should be paid by the owner.

But here, this is NOT the case. The boat is in a great shape, just went through professional overhaul. Electrics, Engines, Carpentry, Electronics, etc... So up to now, no repair jobs required.

Also the crew need NOT be experienced as the Capt. is and also the other crewmember. Itīs just about redundancies and workload sharing, eg. night watch. Itīs more fun when you are 3 or 4 on board, donīt you agree?

Also, if the WX is unsuitable, departure will be delayed accordingly. No hurry to get there. The Cat is fast anyhow and will make it in no time.

This all means: The trip is about fun and relaxing. No delivery, no rush. Think of it as vacation, where perhaps only a destination is given.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook