SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat Fishing
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaskell View Post
nice mahi mate! but how did your wifey like the newly painted deck?? that's the problem! thing about a mahi is when it's brought on board it better be well sedated!! some people will surely be able to relate to that one - i have some serious stories about mahis. on another note, cedar plugs are tried and tested, and they last longer than plastic squids if a barra decides to log on. and you can be certain that it will, probably more than any other fish in the sea!!

The blood washes off fairly easily. In rough conditions I fillet them in the cockpit. I sedate the little fishies with a squirt bottle filled with good Dominican rum. I could use a longer gaff as my freeboard is pretty high and the gaff is a tad short. When I first started years ago I used to sedate them with a kid's baseball bat. First time I tried it I missed the fish and hit my topsides (no damage, CS36 is a tough boat). The second shot I took at the fish I dropped the bat into the ocean, had to go back and get it. Rum is easier, both for the fish and myself!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook