SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Canaries to the Caribbean Nov/Dez 2010

7K views 50 replies 11 participants last post by  sailingdog 
#1 · (Edited)
We are looking for another one or two easy-to-get-along-with-people to give us a deck hand on the way from Gran Canaria to the Caribbean. So far we are two. Experienced male Captain in his mid 40´s and a male friend, also mid 40´s.

The trip will be made on Captain´s 36ft Catamaran, which he had just brought over from Greece with his family. They leave ship on the Canares and will meet the crew in the Caribbean around Xmas again. Planned arrival destination is St. Lucia.

The Catamaran is some years old, but very well equipped and on a new technical standard. Completely overhauled in 2010 with lots of redundancies.

We will leave last Sunday of November, trip is planned for 17-21 days, depending on weather and winds.

If you are willing to help out on deck or below, you are easy to get along with, have no criminal records and you are of descent appeearance with some english or german language knowledge, well, you want to contact us through PACTOR III directly: dl2mfs@winlink.org

You will have to pay for your own expenses such as flights and daily allowances. Ship handling and customs will be taken care of by the Captain.

See less See more
#44 ·
I never said crew had to be paid. But why should crew subsidize a boat owner's cruising?

You can call it a wonderful opportunity, a three nutted monkey, or whatever else you wish but bottom line is, your crew is providing a service to you and you don't feel like they should be compensated in any way for their efforts. According to Uncleruckus, if you love your job you should pay your employer for the privilege of going to work everyday. I imagine your ok with a delivery captain who gets paid by the owner then charges his crew as well.

If this were advertised as a training cruise, and the owner has the proper credentials, I'd have no problem with it. Anyone who signs on would be gettng something in return. That's not the case here.

So, exactly who is trying to get something for free?

#45 ·
Actually the ARC is a race and Caribbean delivery combined. Cruising divisions are allowed to motor when they feel it necessary. Some people do this for the cachet of the race and others merely to reposition their boats or a bit of both. There are entry fees to join the ARC and the boats they accept must meet certain safety criteria (eg., no life raft? no ARC, no Sat phone or SSB? no ARC etc).
There are plenty of people who would pay to do this. I'd love to but I can't afford it.
I watched a 51' Beneteau on the ARC website that a friend owned a few years back. It seemed pretty exciting from my couch - they show daily position reports on a chart. I ended up helping this friend on a delivery leg of his boat from the BVIs to Turks & Caicos for which I paid my airfare and beer tab, the owner paid for the food. I really enjoyed the trip on the open ocean even if there were only 2 of us on the boat. While it was a leg of an ultimate delivery to Stamford, CT it was also an adventure. I think the owner would have done it by himself with the radar doing some of the night watches but his wife wanted him to have at least one other person on board. I was not the delivery captain, the owner was and I just enjoyed a chance to be part of a crew on an ocean voyage. I'd do it again if I had the time and money.

#46 ·
CalebD-

I'd point out that a new model Bendytoy 51' is a bit different from the OP's description of the boat they're on:

The Catamaran is some years old, but very well equipped and on a new technical standard. Completely overhauled in 2010 with lots of redundancies.
The 51' Bendytoy is probably more luxurious and better equipped, since the wording the OP used is what you'd hear from a used car salesman.

#48 ·
SD,
Yes, the Bendy toy 51' First I sailed on was ocean cruising ready after doing the ARC and the owner was a doctor so I considered it safe to do with just two people for 400+ nm on open ocean. I had a blast and would even consider paying a per diem for food to do it again, plus air fare.
SnowFlake is asking for voluntary crew who will pay their own expenses, not a delivery crew. I don't think that either of us is going to volunteer, for our own reasons, but what is the harm caused by the OP for looking for paying crew for the ARC on SailNet?
Take a deep breath please
This is just a guy wanting a few (good looking) person(s) to join them in the ARC. It is not really a delivery but a race.
Breathe deeply again.

#50 ·
SD,
Yes, the Bendy toy 51' First I sailed on was ocean cruising ready after doing the ARC and the owner was a doctor so I considered it safe to do with just two people for 400+ nm on open ocean. I had a blast and would even consider paying a per diem for food to do it again, plus air fare.
SnowFlake is asking for voluntary crew who will pay their own expenses, not a delivery crew. ...
This is just a guy wanting a few (good looking) person(s) to join them in the ARC. It is not really a delivery but a race.
Breathe deeply again.
Actually not, he is going to leave from Canary Islands, but not participate in the ARC.

My objection, that was also a warning, concerned the risks that eventually uninformed crew members (eventually from this forum) could experience from sailing out of Azores in the rainy and stormy season. Sailing in rain and bad weather is not my idea of fun and the trip was been advertised as holidays, not to speak of eventual danger.

Snowflake 123 have taken in consideration what I have told him about the right place to begin a Transat on this time of the year and moved his departure point 750 miles south to Canary Islands and that just takes away my concerns and objections.

I agree that could be a nice experience, even if a 36ft Cat is a relatively small boat to do that kind of voyage, but, of course that are some 36ft bluewater cats, and others that are just intended for coastal work.

Snowflake 123, just to take away any doubt and to show us, and all that are eventually interested, that you have an appropriated boat for the job, do you mind to post some more information about your cat (model, year) and pictures?

Regards

Paulo

#49 ·
I can't believe how shoddily this new member has been treated by the forum. Most sailors don't have boats and getting sufficient sea miles can be a difficult task, particularly for those certifications that really mean something (Yachtmaster or SSS to name just two) and giving people an opportunity to cross the pond without having to pay for berths is a generous offer.

I do note that only those who don't need miles or look for the adventure of an ocean crossing complained about the offer. What some call "work" many others will call "fun" and to condemn the original poster for his offer is patently unjustified.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.