SailNet Community - View Single Post - We are 99% sure we are going engine-less
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010
Taco Whisperer

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog View Post
well, it certainly would force you to improve your sailing skills. When you don't have an iron genny to fall back on, you really don't have a choice but to improve your sailing skills.

However, it will limit you in some places that you can go, since not all harbors, canals, etc., are going to be safely navigable without an engine. In some cases, even if they are safely navigable, it won't be allowed. The Cape Cod Canal and the Panama Canal both come to mind. IIRC, neither allows a sailboat to proceed under sail.

One other issue is that the facilities that used to exist for purely sail-powered craft are getting scarcer and scarcer. Modern marinas tend to have narrower fairways, where getting in and out of a slip is almost impossible without an auxiliary engine, so you will also be limited in where you can stay.

That said, I say go for it. But, I would recommend that you setup a bracket so that you can use the dinghy's outboard to maneuver the mothership under certain conditions, like parking the boat in a slip in a tight marina when necessary under calm conditions.
We should be able to use the o/b for all you listed above though, right (the Panama canal, tough marinas, etc)?

On the modern marina/tight fairway note, I have to tell you our current marina is notorious for this. They have crammed more slips into that place than you could believe as it is a condo/slip owner marina... it's tight in that place and we are used to that at this point..
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook