SailNet Community - View Single Post - We are 99% sure we are going engine-less
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road
Wow, I would give going engine-less a 99% negative rating in this thread, which I cannot ignore.

Just to clarify, I wouldn't mount a permanent bracket on the transom, I was contemplating other methods (which I won't really get into, suffice to say no permanent bracket). We only have our Chesapeake Bay experience to draw from (since we have never been anywhere else), and around here I know I could get by without and engine, since that is how we sail by default anyway.

I honestly believed we could do this anywhere (since we do it here), but you guys are definitely giving me pause. I guess my vision was us heading down the ICW (and needed a small motor for the portions you can't sail), then once we reach the Keys, basically being in blue water for much of the rest of our journey and being able to rely on sail alone. When I stare at charts of the Bahamas and the Caribbean, and on further to our dream locations, it seems doable but maybe it's just not.

Someone posted earlier asking why I don't also get rid of (then there was a long list of stuff), and to that I'd say we'd like to. I would like to 86 the fridge, as I can't see needing a fridge or the power consumption, we would like to get rid of the hot water (do we need that? I don't think so but after this thread I would like your opinions on that and the others stuff on the chopping block mentioned here), the propane stove (I have never felt safe with that can hanging off the pushpit), and the marine head/holding tank (in favor of a composting head).

I know I am a romantic and a dreamer, and when I get to thinking about living the dream I probably have too much of a tendency to look at the romantic side of things (sailing in and off the anchor, relying on skill alone, etc) and not the reality side of things.

Anyway, like I said, I respect this forums opinions and the numbers against are pretty hard to ignore. I don't know how we are going to proceed, I have a sinking feeling though... that I might prepare myself for keeping the damn thing for awhile more. I don't know. More research is needed at the very least.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook