SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for stories of those who get to spend enough time on their boat.
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010

jephotog is on a distinguished road
Looking for stories of those who get to spend enough time on their boat.

We already have the thread on why our boats don't get used enough. How about success stories of lifestyle choices people made that allows people to sail to their hearts content. I am not sure if there is such a thing as getting to sail enough, short of the Vende Globe which may fall under the category of too much.

I will share a story of my getting to sail enough. Unfortunately this was a once upon a time story. I was living in New Orleans waiting tables at night and training to become a pilot. Post 9/11 I saw everyone I knew with their dream job in aviation being furloughed and generally the whole industry change. I had originally moved to New Orleans to go sailing anyways. I stopped flying for a while as I did not see the point. I was regretting the money spent on aviation as it would have bought me a nice cruising boat.

Now with a well paid waiting job, a 22 foot boat in a slip, a foot in the door in the racing scene, a lot of free time, I concentrated on sailing as much as I could. I sailed my own boat at least once a week, more during the winter when the racing was not as prevalent. The favorite of these was the post work sail. I'd take my non sailing coworkers out. I had the boat and grill, someone else brought beer, another andouille sausage, and another snacks. We'd meet at the boat around midnight and sail till 4-5 in the morning.

When racing season came I was regular crew on a J35 and a J22. When big races were coming I would usually get 2-3 offers to crew on other boats which was nice when my main boat was not going out. I would also travel along the Gulf Coast to participate in other big races in the area. I am guestimating but figured i sailed a 100 days that year.

My current sailing situation is more like my downhill skiing situation when I lived in New Orleans, few and far between. So please share your stories of living the dream, getting to spend as much time as you want on the water.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook