SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking for stories of those who get to spend enough time on their boat.
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Well, in the previous thread you had a lot of people saying that sailing had to take a backseat to family and work. Some of these people said that they had plenty of money, but no time to sail, so they keep the boat to keep their dream alive.

My opinion, is that it's all about balance. I have intentionally avoided moving too far up the military or corporate management chain because more money means less time. What good is 10 million dollars, if you can't enjoy it, or you die early trying to earn it?

I have a home that's a 3 minute walk to the water, and my boat is moored at a private dock there. My work situation allows me to sail every afternoon and all weekend if I choose. I have months of vacation on the books, so when I feel I'm ready, I can embark on my circumnavigation of the Delmarva Peninsula. Even with the economy in the toilet, my retirement finances are still on solid footing.

It all sounds pretty swank on paper, but my home is modest, my cars, etc, my boat is modest. That's what gives me the freedom and the time to sail as much or as little as I like.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook