SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wheel to Tiller Conversion
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010

wiley586 is on a distinguished road
I haven't shopped recently, but I have an '88 31 with a tiller. I ordered it that way and I wasn't sure it would work out. Neither was the dealer, since at the time I ordered, PSC said they had not delivered one without a wheel. After trying several different tillers out, we found the right one and I am quite happy. With 20-odd years of crewed and singlehanded sailing in all kinds of conditions, I would not consider a wheel on this boat if you offered to do the "upgrade" for free and throw in a thousand bucks for the privilege. I imagine I'd feel the same way if I was shopping.

Other people's mileage will vary. For instance, my brother converted his fin keel spade rudder Pearson from tiller to wheel, and he wouldn't go back. Of course that boat had balance problems and the tiller was so long and the cockpit so narrow that the end of the tiller was usually poking someone in the midriff. Trying to convince a buyer with only that experience that a tiller is good would be a rough go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamowens View Post
Dave,
Any progress on the conversion? I saw a pic on your site of the Tides Marine rudder bearing. Is this necessary or more of a belt and suspenders idea?
I have been giving alot of serious thought to converting myself and was wondering what everyone thought about the impact of a conversion on resale value if any. I have no plans of selling anytime in the near future but it is a point I am considering.
Those of you that have shopped for a 31 recently, would you have considered a tiller boat?

Adam
PSC 31 Journey

Last edited by wiley586; 10-27-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook