SailNet Community - View Single Post - If not Pacific Seacraft...what?
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010

BMLipiec is on a distinguished road
Island Packets were on my short list when we bought our last boat. I liked almost everything about them except they were not designed for ease of maintenance (which unfortunately is more common than not).

Nothing on a boat lasts forever (something about sun and saltwater). In order to replace water or fuel tanks on an IP you have to cut the fiberglass floor apart to get to them. In order to replace chainplates you have to dismantle the woodwork inside the boat and cut through layers of the fiberglass hull to remove and replace.

PSCs are not perfect boats in this regard either (which boat is?), but they can be worked on without major demolition. The fuel tank lifts out of the bilge via a hatch in the floor (Bonus - the tank will fit through the companionway without slicing it up into pieces). Chain plates are also easier to replace without gutting the inside. Want to add something on deck - unzip the headliner and install backing plates as needed.

This was a major selling point and tipped the scales for me when trying to decide which boat. The more I sail and work on Indigo, our 34, the more impressed I am of the design and workmanship.
Hull #281

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook