SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wheel to Tiller Conversion
View Single Post
post #28 of Old 10-28-2010
Attached are some photos showing how I filled the holes after removing the wheel -- as well as the incredible dirt on the cockpit sole as we put the cover on the boat. The wooden outline of the PSC 37 is 3/4" thick, rabbeted down to a nice fit to fill the oval holes from the steering and control cables. It is held in place with 4200 and the bronze bolt to a toggle on the underside of the cabin sole.

The remaining bolts are bronze (McMaster Carr) hand filed with a compass rose pattern (though one wag suggested they look like rocks through which we are navigating!).

On a different note, I glassed in the nuts for the bolts which hold down the cockpit sole, put a 2" neoprene gasket all around, and then used round head socket head cap screws plus washers with neoprene gaskets. I then cut off an allen wrench so it fits in my electric drill and presto-the cockpit sole comes out quickly and easily for GREAT access to the back end of the engine.

Hope these help in your deliberations.

Originally Posted by adamowens View Post
Thanks Dave,
I thought you must have done something to that effect. I haven't talked myself into the conversion quite yet but I can't wait to watch your progress.

Now to figure how to fill the hole in the cockpit sole and match 22 year old faded gelcoat.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3439.JPG (60.2 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3440.JPG (54.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3441.JPG (35.4 KB, 77 views)
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome