SailNet Community - View Single Post - Wheel to Tiller Conversion
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010

BirdBrain333 is on a distinguished road
Attached are some photos showing how I filled the holes after removing the wheel -- as well as the incredible dirt on the cockpit sole as we put the cover on the boat. The wooden outline of the PSC 37 is 3/4" thick, rabbeted down to a nice fit to fill the oval holes from the steering and control cables. It is held in place with 4200 and the bronze bolt to a toggle on the underside of the cabin sole.

The remaining bolts are bronze (McMaster Carr) hand filed with a compass rose pattern (though one wag suggested they look like rocks through which we are navigating!).

On a different note, I glassed in the nuts for the bolts which hold down the cockpit sole, put a 2" neoprene gasket all around, and then used round head socket head cap screws plus washers with neoprene gaskets. I then cut off an allen wrench so it fits in my electric drill and presto-the cockpit sole comes out quickly and easily for GREAT access to the back end of the engine.

Hope these help in your deliberations.

Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamowens View Post
Thanks Dave,
I thought you must have done something to that effect. I haven't talked myself into the conversion quite yet but I can't wait to watch your progress.

Now to figure how to fill the hole in the cockpit sole and match 22 year old faded gelcoat.

Adam
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3439.JPG (60.2 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3440.JPG (54.6 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3441.JPG (35.4 KB, 74 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook