SailNet Community - View Single Post - LED anchor light
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by seb5thman View Post
Just read a post in Sail Magazine 'To the Editor' from a guy who changed out most his boat to LED. He took a lightning strike and lost every LED on board. The incandescent lights, including the spreader lights, were undamaged. He is questioning his decision to change to LED.
I bought a hurricane lantern at REI for $36 that holds three 9-hour candles. While at anchor I light one of the candles and hoist it to provide the required 360 degree illumination. It provides plenty of light, is easily seen, does not blow out, and I save the battery. Replacement candles come in a 3-pack for $2.
And I took a strike this summer too and also lost LED's, BUT, I also lost radar, gps, AIS, incandescent bulbs, depth, wind, speed, Epirb, stereo, solar regulator, ACR, VHF, TV, propane detection, battery monitors, ameter, volt meter, tach, fuel gauge, oil pressure, compass light, autopilot and on and on and on.

Incandescent bulbs CAN also fry but the bottom line is that I have insurance and everything was replaced including the LED bulbs.

Using that reasoning don't buy anything electronic. Heck I even had stuff not plugged in that got zapped!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook