SailNet Community - View Single Post - Emergency battery charge ?
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010

SouthBrooklyn is on a distinguished road
Emergency battery charge ?

Hello,

I read just about all postings related to batteries and chargers and is getting a little complicated. Here is my situation. My boat has a two battery bank with an off/1/2/both switch and a third battery used solely for an inverter. At this point in time even if the switch is set to off I am able to use the lights. The previous owner told me that the switch works only with the outboard. Is that right?

Speaking about the outboard, does in use electricity for running or just for starting?

Previously, the boat was moored and the owner was charging the batteries at home. I have the boat docked, but she doesn't have any shore power system installed.

Last week I ordered a Guest 10A 2Bank Charger (3 stage) and when I was supposed to receive it, I found out it is back-ordered and I have to wait another two weeks. I am afraid the batteries charge will go too low, although I didn't use lights at all and the engine about 2-3 hours. I read that a voltmeter is not very reliable, so I don't know how to check the batteries right now.

I have a marinco adapter and a Sears 10/2A charger at home. Should I use it until I get the other charger? How do I ensure I don't overcharge the batteries. Should I disconnect the batteries and charge them individually?
10A or 2A?

What is the best course of action for the long run?

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg batteries.jpg (80.9 KB, 161 views)
File Type: jpg battery-link.jpg (62.2 KB, 163 views)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook